Monday 9 July 2007

Death of a 360


My Xbox 360 finally died on me at the weekend. It has been playing up for the past week and had frozen a few times whilst playing games so I had an inclination that all was not well. On Friday evening I finally got the three red lights of doom, fortunately the extended warranty is now in effect so I gave Microsoft Support a ring on Saturday morning.

After a 58 minute wait on hold and after about the one hundredth time of hearing the words: "Please remain on the line and a support representative will be with you as soon as possible. Thankyou for your patience." I finally managed to speak to a representative.

A few questions about the console followed (serial number etc) and I eventually got the option of having the UPS labels sent by post or by email. Initially I said I wanted them by post but as soon as I found out that it can take up to five days to get them I promptly changed my mind to email. At this stage I needed to change my Xbox Live email address so I gave the representative my new details and to my amusement the representative said he would have to write them down as the system had just crashed. I asked him if there were "three flashing red lights" displayed on the front of his PC but I don't think he was too amused with the quip.

My console is scheduled to be picked up tomorrow and there's currently about a 15 - 25 day turnaround for repairs (i.e. get a refurbished one sent back). I've had the console since the UK launch and I honestly thought I'd escaped the abysmal reliability problems but alas that was not to be. During my 360's downtime I will continue to post news but unfortunately trial and demo impressions will have to wait until I get the console back. On the up side I should now have the time to play a few of my back catalog of games for other platforms that have built up over the last year and I hope to post reviews as appropriate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Hope they get it fixed quickly.

QuizzicalDemon said...

Yeah I'm really hoping I get one back sooner than expected, the 360 has probably been turned on most days since launch so it's going to be a bit strange not using one for a while.