Friday 24 August 2007

Space Giraffe


Space Giraffe is now available to download from Xbox Live Marketplace costing 400 Microsoft Points. The trial lets you play the first 9 levels out of the 100 that are available in the full retail version.

Space Giraffe is a arcade shooter from the mind of Jeff Minter, and although stating that it is not "Tempest", my initial impressions were of just that, albeit with a mind boggling dose of psychedelia thrown into the mix.

On the first go you basically haven't got a clue as to what is happening in this game, and even upon investigating the tutorials which describe the "powerzone", "flowers" and the art of "bulling" it still doesn't make a great deal of sense. I had to play through the tutorial a couple of times and study the "how to play" guide to finally start understanding how it all fits together.



I find it quite difficult to come a decision on Space Giraffe. Part of me finds it an intriguing and challenging game, but the other side of me finds it frustrating when the psychedelia becomes overpowering and you can't see what's going on. The game has a very old school design, simple in essence but hard to master with a difficulty that rises quite quickly with only perseverance bringing rewards.

I don't believe this game is for everyone, but I'm sure it will have its fans that absolutely love it. Try before you buy!

No comments: