Monday 12 November 2007

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Impressions

Last Friday saw the release of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the eagerly anticipated first person shooter from Infinity Ward. I've spent sometime over the weekend playing the game and I completed the single player campaign yesterday. Now before you start thinking "This guy's got too much time on his hands", it must be stressed that the single player game doesn't last that long at all (maybe 6 hours) and can easily be finished in a few days or in one session if so inclined.

Although the single player game is undeniably short it provides a fun and enthralling experience with some very intense moments when all hell breaks loose on the battlefield. I don't think the single player game is breaking any new ground in terms of game mechanics, it's all very familiar, but what "Infinity Ward", and thus the game, excels at is providing an experience that fully immerses you in a war zone and makes you feel part of a gigantic war effort.

The game does provide an overall storyline and I was very impressed by the use of the in-game engine to relate key events, especially when viewed through the first person perspective of a character. Ever since the first trailers appeared and the game was demonstrated the graphics engine has been lauded. And it certainly doesn't disappoint with some truly glorious visuals that surely must rank as some of the best seen on the Xbox 360 to date.

On a final note, I've yet to try out the multi-player game modes but I hope to give these a shot over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really need to pick CoD4 up, but between The Orange Box and Guitar Hero 3 I'm nit sure when I'd have time to play it right now.